Monday 15 August 2011

The Gomedakam

The corridors leading to my hostel cafeteria would not have been quite interesting except for two things. One,the caretaker who had an epitome of confidence that our conduct on that very ground is his right. Two, the intrinsic patterns forming on the floor as streaks of sunshine flows through the jali designed concrete windows. 

Just a week into this new settlement, the best expectations were glares, glances and
then A GLEAM, it was followed by a honey-burnt voice which said "hello"!
It took me an entire second to acknowledge it and meanwhile, I was mesmerized! There was something so different about the face which widened its smile as I looked on. Exchanging hellos take fraction of seconds, however, this moment was prolonged. Dressed in an enthusiastic orange, she looked raring to live the day. We spent a few more seconds to know each others name and which route we take to work, before I uttered the word 'bye'! She gave me her sincere smile again and we turned around to except our path. 

I stepped out of my campus, got into an auto. Her face still lingered in my thoughts,
something about it I could'nt figure out!
It was an unusually hectic day at work, and there was no room for any personal space of mind or so I thought. I suppose, we all have these demarcations set for our personal and professional lives. However, every now and then one gains hand over the other. And, it's normal to be so or so we think.

It was ticking to be ten when I got back to the hostel and one of our routine meetings was coming to an end. Spotting our synod head, I figured out that I had just missed
an important message. As, all the girls moved into there respective rooms, the 
musings and sobings were more clear.

It came as a jolt! It does wake you up and makes you accept its gratification by taking away the kn-own.

The same morning in one of the busy lanes of thousand lights area, she lay, gasping for breathe. We heard there were onlookers too, who left things to be the way they looked. It was too late for her wounds to heal, when they delivered her to the medics.

The days which followed were all the more horrondous, an accident being converted into a niche story by the un-ruling government of the state. Politicizing a death! These are times when you start questioning the value of life. A world of selfishness, ruthlessness and cruelness.

You, thou Agnes left the warmth of your smile with me forever. I heard from the girls your love for nature; your thoughtfulness makes our garden green to this day. I have been told that if a change of any kind is needed in life, just burn an orange candle for seven nights. You wore orange that day and left your family, friends and us burning for the rest of our lives.

I now understand what I could'nt figure out that day, it was the content for life
on your face. There was not a trace of unsatisfaction. A contrast to the times
we live in.

Agnes's father runs a diamond business in Tiruchi, TN. He lost his most precious gem then, and as a rememberance gave each of us girls a precious gem. What came to me is a Gomedakam, it gives a orange hue and a honey-burnt tinge.

I think it is a matter of love: the more you love a memory, the stronger and stranger it is.
- Vladimir Nabokov

On behalf of -
The Daisy Gopal Ratnam Working Women’s Hostel
CSI Synod,
Whites road, Royapettah,
Chennai, Tamil Nadu.



 






No comments:

Post a Comment

From my balcony

26.03.2020 18.30 pm - 19.20 pm  Stay there for some more time, Before time gobbles you for today!  Are you screening the waters ...