Thursday 14 July 2016

Little Heart Breaks & Tiny secrets



Mornings come with quirky chats and pickled humming. My son Tvastr, makes the most of our weekdays with us through it. My short walk to the bus stand with him usually has some new connotation to the mundane route. Every time we reach the bus stand I realize how pre-occupied my  mind is, planning the day to come and how observant my son’s is, giving me hints on how he is sponging up every little pixel on the way. Small things, but smart things. One day, he said, “exactly like the umbrella with us.” I didn’t understand because I was looking down and pondering on stuff. And he repeated again, looking on his left “Not the same. But, same colour – Pink and Blue”. And indeed it was, the same kind we have. I could just smile. Every morning he makes me realize how I’m so away from the truth, so not in the present, so lost in time to come and not in time to celebrate.

Our wait for the school bus gets all the more stimulating, because daily brings a different topic of discussion. Never mind him rantering on the automobiles which are passing by. That’s like a watermark on the backbone of our life. The little one is quite capable of having a good dialogue with his own opinions. We talk about anything and everything under the influence of a six year old, right from family members to what he wants to eat next time we order out or the rise & fall of the yin and yang in life.

This morning we somehow landed up talking about friends and so I asked him “who are your friends?” Sulking a bit, he said ‘I have no friends mamma’. And then he became sad. I said, but you know these boys and girls in your class, you know them over the past four years now, someone must be your friend.  Well, he continued, Jayashree, the new girl in our class plays with me at times.  But then Jayashree’s team wins every time, so she spends time playing with them more. “Who else?” I asked.  He said, “Shrey is also my friend”. But he has many other friends too. Without giving a pause, I said, “so what? Good he has other friends; they too can become your friends. Friendship doesn’t mean you walk and play hand in hand only with the one. Look at me, mamma’s friends are everywhere, all over the different continents. I started naming a few he knew and he started telling the location they are based in. Isn’t it fun having friends from so many places, I grinned along with him.

The bus was running a bit late, and so I continued our chat, asking him, “why don’t you make new friends, go and ask someone.” He nodded his head and said, I did ask someone, mamma. And? I asked, smiling and hoping for the answer. His expression wore a mix of courage, blushing, shyness and ultimately heartbreak. Picking himself up he said, mamma the reply was “I don’t want to be your friend”. Just as he replied, a piece of my heart got crushed. I could literally imagine a tiny heart balloon coming out of my big heart balloon and someone pricked it and it burst ..puff. I asked Tvastr, who was it? And he said, “I can’t tell you mamma, don’t ask.” The answer was so crystal that I didn’t find any courage to pacify him again to give me the name. There was a minute of silence which seemed like an eternity. With thoughts racing through my mind breaking the barrier of my core perception that as his mom “I need to know every miniscule detail of what is happening in his life”. This little man holds his tiny secrets and he is brave enough to take care of them. I need in no way to pacify him to trust me with everything, it’s just so okay for him to have his privacy. It’s absolutely fine for him to have these little heart breaks, relationship stings and growth waves. I need not make everything perfect for him. Imperfection will teach him how beautiful life is by finally falling into place. Just like you and I have made it to this day, he too will make his way and find his path…


Honk Honk ..the yellow bus arrived and took my brave little man away to live his day his own way…


No comments:

Post a Comment

From my balcony

26.03.2020 18.30 pm - 19.20 pm  Stay there for some more time, Before time gobbles you for today!  Are you screening the waters ...