Saturday 4 March 2017

Mom, I like not the Green but, the “Yellow Capsicum”



It was just another regular day when my maid had just finished her cooking mandate and had left the kitchen the way I want it to be. I entered with ten thoughts running through the lanes of my overused mind. In there was one wired red flag alerting me to give breakfast to my six-year old who had been trying to enjoy his one-month long vacation.

Peeping into the drawing room, I found him doing his typical couch potato act. I sighed and pulled out one of his square shaped purple colored plate. Placing two chapattis & some aaloo- shimla mirch sabji on the side I gave it an unsatisfied gaze. In just another trail blazer second, I had ideated on to also place two blobs of amul butter on top of the chapattis. Now, I said to myself, it looks un-resistible! I smirked at my “bribe-enriched breakfast” which will make my smarty pants have a “no talk” but, “just food” time for the next twenty minutes.

With my good-at-it mother poise, I left to deliver my winning platter to the little tummy which had waited with patience for what it was going to see now.  Bringing the stool near the couch, I kept the pate on it and turned back, happy on marking off the “give breakfast red flag” up there.

Entering the kitchen again, I was just about to make that “start- your- day- at- work coffee” when I thought I had heard myself being called. Ignoring my “instant on-call mom mind”, I got into switching on the microwave to heat up the coffee. There again, as the plate disk rotated to warm up my indigo cup, my ears twitched again. It was crystal, I was being called “Mom”. Stopping the microwave mid-way I stepped into the drawing room with high hopes of being asked for a glass of water.

There under the bright lit roof I could see him sulking looking at the plate. Three little questions instantly popped up there. One, are the chapattis too dry? Two, Is the subji too spicy for him? Three, has he spilled the food on the floor? (He has this habit of feeling guilty about it).

Under the influence of these three contexts, I asked him “what is it?”

There it came and shattered my good-at-it mother poise with all its might. Brooding still at the plate, he said “Mom, I like not the Green but, the “Yellow Capsicum”.
I quietly picked up the plate, dropped all the green capsicum back into the pan and handed over the plate again with not a word to utter.

A little later, and that is today did I come to terms with the choice of a six year old. I just googled about what is so special about a yellow capsicum? And here is what I found.

Yellow Capsicums ~ more mature than green capsicums, yellow capsicums have a fruity taste yet milder than their orange or red counterparts. Yellow varieties taste fantastic grilled and add fantastic colour to stir-fries. 
That does sound like my smarty pants. I am tickled as I end my post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

From my balcony

26.03.2020 18.30 pm - 19.20 pm  Stay there for some more time, Before time gobbles you for today!  Are you screening the waters ...