Thursday 2 March 2017

The Art of Drying & Folding Laundry ~ An Attitude



A Facebook post by a friend of mine read “The job of a stay-at-home mother is that of building blocks or connecting households....”

My instant reaction to it was “Pls elaborate.. the job of all women.. Encompassing.. working, non working, stay at home, part timers, and many more is important n crucial.. I feel..”

The reply came in saying “Arey yaar Maine kab kaha stay at home mothers have imp job! Hehehe .. buildings blocks thode na imp kaam hai πŸ˜€ πŸ˜‰.. I was referring to the piling of clothes and vessels! Ek hatao.. everything comes toppling down  πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ ek dum building blocks ki tarah”

As a continuation of the same thread she responded “Well .. on a serious note.. I know the skills that a working mother has and how she has to multi task.. I have seen my mom doing it till about 4 yrs back! What I do is nothing compared to what she has done all these years!! Hats off to all the working moms!! Full time ho ya part time!”

I responded back again “I understood what u meant.. but never compared it to utensil n cloth piles..lol... but I got the elaboration..hehehe.. it’s hilarious... but infact.. . but I still feel..stay at home moms have bigger roles to play and longer schedules...I have even seen men in my household do it... . even cloth drying n folding is an art.. you should see my dad do it..  :*..”

Further I adding “I love every woman.. around me.. in some way or another.. they are pulling mankind to another state of being”

She reverted saying “Good to know that there is someone who admires the way we fold or dry clothes and considers it an art!  😘

I answered, saying “infact u gave me an idea to write a piece for my blog  :*”

And so my dearest readers, this post belongs to us. Men, Women and all alike.

My friend here is glad to know that I admire the way stay-at-home moms dry up clothes and then fold them and also consider it an art! Initially, there was a difference in thought here. She did feel that I think that working mothers have a bigger balance to make than stay-at-home moms. The truth for ME is NO! I don’t think working mothers are more skilled and neither do I look down upon them, I being one myself. Neither, do I think that only mothers are stay-at-home. And not the last at all, I do think Drying & Folding Laundry is an Art!

When and why did we start considering something colorful or visually aesthetic as a work of art?  I think “Art is an attitude!”. And more than my very organized and work-life balancing mom it was my stay-at-home dad (once he took his VRS at 50) who taught me how to push art into the mundane of everyday life. Had he not, I do not think I would have enjoyed my overextended marriage-maternity break or got to love my household work the way I do today. The root of the problem is that we do not value our own doings, our daily life. Our rating to ourselves is so low on to what is considered everyday routine, household chores or the mundane life. Everything out there seems glittering with questions like what are you doing today which is so different from what other people are up to? And tons of other similar questions. The problem created here is of our own making. We are bullying ourselves into a very conscious being. Treading on what’s expected of you by the traditional society is not something of the past but, also of the modernistic future we live today. Just the criteria has changed.

Thanks to my Stay-at-home dad who taught me how to space the clothes while drying them up, why should the clothes be turned inside out for a quick dry, which clothes to dry on the rack and which on the cloth liner, which ones to put in the shade, how to clip them, which ones to be put in the hanger, which fold-alignment does not crumble or crease the clothes, how many folds make for a compact pile up.

I found his days very therapeutic at home doing this routine. There has always been peace in what he has been doing. He has never been forced to do these things. He loves to do it.

It just has forever got me to knuckle up in my mind that when did society came to its decision on gender and division of chores.

An advertisement I saw a year back came to my mind.

Is it asking for so much from the genders that exist? Why divide chores or careers? Why divide life? Why not share? Why not experiment?

I wrote a post a few years back on non-duality of gender called “The age of Turbulence – Brief insights into our own Indian Marriage”. Where the masculine and feminine co-exit. The energy is maximum there. There is where we understand the true meaning of the art of living and reigning.

As the change occurs, I believe that with each ticking second it is scores of stay-at-home moms and some numbers of stay-at-home dads are the ones who are actually working on building blocks or connecting households.

Home is art and we need people who enrich it because art thrives not in measured cubicles but, in a free state of mind and space! 













No comments:

Post a Comment

From my balcony

26.03.2020 18.30 pm - 19.20 pm  Stay there for some more time, Before time gobbles you for today!  Are you screening the waters ...